Combining science writing and design
Technical literature, just like good webpages, should be created by considering the words and design together. But if the scientific writing and document layout are carried out by separate people, achieving the best possible results can be a big drain on time.
If you’re familiar with this problem, then I might well be the person you’re looking for. With 10 years’ experience of advanced document layout in packages such as InDesign (and before that, marking-up documents for external typesetting), I know how to make scientific content look clean and professional.
So what can I help you with?
- Document design – Creation of professional, attractive layouts in accordance with your brand guidelines.
- Structure and flow – Optimised positioning of text and images for the best reader experience.
- Text styling – Harmonisation of image labels, captions, body text and headers.
- Technical data – Clutter-free presentation of tables, charts and software outputs.
- Imagery – Selection and modification of in-house or stock photography.
- Brand elements – Precise reproduction of logos, fonts and colours.
- Advanced typesetting – Creation of tables of contents and indexes, interactive buttons and fillable forms.
Simpler project management
Asking me to write and design your documents eliminates the time you’d have spent ensuring that the writer and the designer are working together effectively in the way you want them to.
In addition, you’ll get a better result. As well as the points in the list above, I’ll be able to suggest ways to improve the presentation of technical data that a regular designer wouldn’t have thought of – and that might make all the difference with your audience.